The consequences of a Rhode Island truck accident can be significant and severe. Your vehicle has likely experienced substantial damage. And you may have suffered from injuries that will create pain and frustration for you, whether temporarily or permanently.
The fallout of a Rhode Island truck accident is even worse because it happens so suddenly and unexpectedly. One minute you are driving down the road as normal. The next minute you are at the center of an accident. Figuring out what to do next is a lot harder when you struggling to understand what happened in the first place.
Rather than making hasty or irrational decisions at a time in your life when a lot hangs in the balance, reach out to an attorney who can offer you counsel and confidence. There are ways for you to hold the negligent party responsible following a Rhode Island Truck Accident. And with the right legal approach, you can seek out resolutions that make a bad situation better. But to do any of that, you will need to consult with a personal injury attorney who knows a lot about Rhode Island truck accident claims.
What Causes a Rhode Island Truck Accident?
If you have been involved in this type of collision, don’t be quick to blame yourself. And don’t be quick to excuse the truck driver. The road may be a dangerous place, but it is the responsibility of all of us, especially professional drivers, to travel as safely as possible. There are some factors that can cause or contribute to a Rhode Island truck accident:
- A driver who is tired or overworked
- A driver who is intoxicated or reckless
- A load that is not secure properly
- A vehicle or equipment that is not properly maintained
- Roads that do not meet safe standards
- Roadway conditions like bad weather that require safer driving
Who is Responsible for a Rhode Island Truck Accident?
As it turns out, a lot of people are. That is a good thing for you because it means that multiple parties could potentially be held liable. But it’s also a bad thing because it means your claim is likely to be very complex, and you will almost certainly be bombarded with threats, manipulations, and unfair settlement offers from negligent parties who are eager to make this Rhode Island truck accident go away. These are who could potentially be held responsible:
- The driver
- The driver’s employer
- The owner of the truck
- The company that leases the truck
- The person who owns the leasing company
- The person who owns the trailer if is attached during the accident
- The company that is leasing the trailer
- The manufacturer of the truck or trailer
- The government entities responsible for the roads
Issues in a Rhode Island Truck Accident
If you plan to file a personal injury claim and pursue a financial settlement, you will need to demonstrate that one of the parties responsible behaved in a negligent or reckless way. That is not easy to do, in part because it is a complex argument to make and in part, because evidence gathering is difficult and at times impossible. However, pursuing a claim after a Rhode Island truck accident is almost always possible. And even in the most difficult circumstances, it is possible to prove liability with strategies like these:
- Determining what party had responsibility for the vehicle at the time of the accident
- Studying driving logs and records, including weigh-in logs
- Examining the level of control employers have over drivers
- Researching the driving history and record of the truck driver
- Looking at maintenance records
- Spotting violations of driving laws and regulations
- Considering mechanical defects.
Recovery After a Rhode Island Truck Accident
If you file a personal injury claim with the help of an attorney, the court may award you a financial settlement meant to cover some of your costs and recover some of your losses. An award is never guaranteed, and getting a fair amount is always a fight. But if you do succeed in your claim, the settlement can be used to cover the following costs:
- Medial expenses that may far exceed your insurance coverage
- Ongoing care that puts a huge new stress on your finances
- Lost wages that leave you broke right when your costs go through the roof
- Diminished quality of life that can’t be restored
A financial settlement cannot recover everything. But it can help you to recover something while also allowing you to pursue justice and make the roads safer. If you or someone you love has been affected by a Rhode Island truck accident, make your next call to Chad F. Bank Attorney at Law at 401-229-5088.